Strawberry, Bacon and Goat Cheese Strata with Balsamic Syrup
A sweet and savoury strawberry strata with bacon, goat cheese, pecans and a balsamic syrup.
- 1 loaf King's Hawaiian Hawaiian Sweet Bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Mix the bread, strawberries, goat cheese, bacon and pecans and place in a lightly grease baking dish.
- Mix the eggs, milk, honey, vanilla extract and nutmeg and pour it over the bread mixture in the baking dish making sure that all of the bread gets moist.
- Bake in a preheated 350F oven until puffed and lightly golden brown, about 45 minutes, remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, simmer the balsamic vinegar and brown sugar over medium heat until it reduces and thickens, about 5 minutes, let it cool and then drizzle it over the strata when serving.
- Option: Top with some fresh sliced strawberries and basil or mint.
- Nutrition Facts: Calories 440, Fat 21g (Saturated 9g, Trans 0), Cholesterol 145mg, Sodium 550mg, Carbs 42g (Fiber 3g, Sugars 19g), Protein 18g
Adapted from Closet Cooking
geeks love bacon! http://geekslovebacon.com/