I really love sushi and was psyched to figure out how to make sushi rice from cauliflower to fit the keto diet and low-carb lifestyle. It turned out fantastic! The cauliflower rice rolled well, the texture was perfect, and the favor was indistinguishable from sushi rice. Topped with a Sriracha sauce mix and served with wasabi, ginger, and soy sauce.
- 4 cups of riced cauliflower --- instructions below
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 Tablespoons whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 pack of stevia sweetener or your choice of sweetener
- Salt to taste
- Sriracha sauce
- Sushi Nori
- Smoked Salomon
- Soy sauce
- De-core the cauliflower
- Chop the trees into a similar size
- Pop into a blender
- Cover the cauliflower completely with water
- Pulse a few times --- Slow down Sea Biscuit --- be careful here not to make grits instead of rice. It doesn't take much to rice your cauliflower.
- Mix the rice vinegar with the riced cauliflower
- Let it sit for 10 - 15 minutes
- Melt the coconut oil on medium/high heat
- Add the "rice", mix, and cover
- Cook until tender stirring periodically
- Turn off / take off heat
- Add sweetener and salt to taste
- Add the cream cheese and blend till thoroughly mixed
- Set aside to firm up while you prepare your sushi veggies and fish
- One Tablespoon Mayo to One teaspoon Sriracha Sauce
- This reduces down to about 3 cups of "sushi rice". Use one cup per roll of sushi.
- Supplies like the sushi rolling mat, chop sticks, nori, ginger, rice vinegar, and wasabi can be purchased at World Market and your local Asian market.
Rolling the Sushi Step-by-Step
We used Smoked Salmon, Crab, Avocado, Cucumber, and Cauliflower Rice for the Sushi Rolls. Ingredients are limited only to your imagination!
Wrap the sushi mat in plastic wrap for a quick clean up. Cover the rice over the nori and place the ingredients on the lower third.
Don’t be bashful…Flip it on over.
Go ahead and use your fingers to keep the ingredients inside.
Roll it up tightly but don’t abuse it! …
Make it round.
Handle it firmly but with kindness.
Roll firmly again.
The Finished Product
Slice the ugly ends off, then cut down the middle. Continue cutting from the middles until you get the pieces sliced. You need a very sharp knife!
The first roll turned out great!
We used smoked salmon in the second roll.
Add the Sriracha Sauce Topping and serve with wasabi, ginger, and soy sauce. Such a success and really fun. We’ll be doing more sushi rolls soon!